Tuesday, June 21, 2011

2 Month Hiatus: Abide



I know, I'm totally copying the Nester and her chalkboard featuring the word abide.  There is something that I just love about that word.  It insinuates relationship, community, conversation...  Warmth, giving, receiving, taking pleasure in...  Abide.  Maybe that's why God calls us to abide in Him.

"I will abide in your tabernacle forever.  I will trust in the shelter of your wings. (Psalm 61:4)

"If you abide in my word, you are my disciples indeed." (John 8:30-32)

"As the Father loved me, I also have loved you; abide in my love." (John 15:8-10)

"If we love one another, God abides in us, and his love has been perfected in us." (1 John 4:11-13)

We cannot abide alone.  The word in and of itself beckons us to enter into something great.  When we abide, we spend time.  We learn and give.  We enter into a two-way conversation that goes beyond words and gives us... Joy.   On my 2 month hiatus, I enjoyed a few moments where I slowed down enough to abide:

A hug initiated by the husband I just snapped at.
Content silence on a plane ride.
Deep conversation moments later on that same plane ride.
Girls from all over the world giggling and painting toes- celebrating a common friend's wedding day.
Sinking into Genesis- reading its stories.
Designing a cork board with the husband who is happy to help.
Morning walk with a dear friend.
Sushi rolled by fabulous friends.
A gentle affirmation to return to God's word.

I want my home to reflect a place where we all may abide.   A place that beckons us to sit, to be, to rest...  To abide in the One who knows and loves us.

"And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him." ~1 John 4:15-17

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading the moments you shared. I could almost visualize them. I felt like I could hear the song from "The Sound of Music "(My Favorite Things) playing in the background while I was reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...