Friday, April 1, 2011

Project Simplify Week 4: Fridge


I skipped Project Simplify week 2 (paper) and 3 (kid's toys) because they didn't really apply to me all that much.  But week 4- the refrigerator definitely applies!  Thankfully I keep my fridge pretty clean so there wasn't any sticky yucky grossness to get rid of, but it was a good opportunity for me to do a quick anti-bacterial swipe and take a look at what's being used and going to waste.


I wish I had one of those beautiful stainless steel fridges with the freezer on the bottom like my friend Krista. Mine is a side by side in the cream color. It's not stainless steel but I am thankful for it! It came with our house. I'm not very organized with my fridge. I have a cheese drawer but other than that everything goes wherever you can find room. Cleaning out and organizing the fridge was good for me!


 

I used my handy lysol wipes and got that thing clean.  I love lysol wipes.  


Then I took everything out, just like Simplemom recommended to do and evaluated if it was something I needed/wanted.  Like marachino cherries.  TOSS! I rearranged and made more room for things.


We realized how much fresh vegetables and fruits we had on hand, and not wanting them to go to waste we decided to go on a "clean" diet and only eat frutis, veggies and nuts the next day.



Look at all that Alaskan smoked salmon!  There is a perk to having a husband who goes to Alaska so often.  :)



Look at all that room! :)  Like with my home, that doesn't mean I should fill it with more stuff.  I'm making room for the good stuff that should live in my fridge like fresh local produce and meats rather than junk like marachino cherries and Margarita mix (I tossed the margarita mix after I took this pic).

I'm on a year-long goal of trying to eat more "natural" which in my definitition means less processed and more whole foods.  More prep, no more from a box or a jar.  It's been okay, but it is so easy to buy processed food and eat it rather than prepare a meal after a long day at work.  This exercise in simplifying helped me realize how far I have come but how much farther we have to go with that goal of mine.  All in all, I am thankful for my newly simplified refrigerator. :)





3 comments:

  1. Less processed foods also means your grocery bill will be cut in half. It was amazing to me when I started making things from scratch, cookies, meals, and snacks how much less expensive grocery shopping became.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary- It will be interesting to see how it goes!!! it is so hard for me to make things from scratch. But I will keep trying!!!!

    Thanks Michele!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...